Beat The Crowd & Try These Mother’s Day Recipes Ideas
Nothing says ‘I Love You, Mom' more than whipping up a delicious meal, and nothing beats eating together at the comfort of your home. Surprise your mom with these simple yet tasty options!
FOR THE SEAFOOD LOVER MOMMY
Potato Cakes with Smoked Salmon
“Homemade potato cakes topped with the perfect soft boiled eggs and smoked salmon that you can’t stop eating!”
・330g potatoes, peeled
・2 spring onions, finely sliced
・Freshly ground black pepper
・1 heaped tablespoon plain flour
・1 small knob butter
・2 free-range eggs
・3 slices good-quality smoked salmon
・2 heaped teaspoons soured cream
・1 bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until just cooked. Drain well and grate on the coarse side of a cheese grater. Add the spring onions, seasoning, flour and half the butter and mix well. Divide into 4 equal balls and pat into flat rounds. Leave covered in the fridge overnight.
2. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a moderate heat and add the rest of the butter. Gently fry the potato cakes, for 2 to 3 minutes each side until light brown and heated through.
3. Meanwhile, soft boil the eggs for 4 minutes – this recipe works best with runny yolks. Arrange a couple of potato cakes on each plate and top with smoked salmon. Shell the eggs and place on top. Spoon soured cream over the eggs and sprinkle over the chives. Season well.
FOR THE ORIENTAL MOM
Soy Glazed Chicken
“The asian rice bowl which consists of soft and tender chicken and a bed of fluffy white rice.”
・1½ lbs (4) chicken thighs
・2½ tablespoons soy sauce
・1 teaspoon five spice powder
・1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or Japanese cooking sake
・1 teaspoon sesame oil
・2 heaping tablespoons sugar
・1½ tablespoons oil
・2 cloves garlic, minced
1. Debone the chicken thighs. Mix the soy sauce, five spice powder, wine, sesame oil and sugar together. Add the sauce mixture to the chicken. Stir to coat well.
2. Heat up a skillet on low to medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is heated, add the garlic and saute until they turn light brown. Add the chicken and all the sauce into the skillet and cook slowly, for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce reduces.
3. Remove the chicken from the skillet, garnish with white sesame and scallion, serve hot with steamed rice.
FOR THE HERBIVOROUS MOM
“Indulge in this classic all-time family favourite.”
・70 g unsalted butter
・50 g plain flour
・800 ml milk
・1 fresh bay leaf
・800 g spinach
・200 g ricotta cheese
・1 whole nutmeg , for grating
・300 g fresh lasagne sheets
・100 g Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC/gas 5.
2. Melt 50g of the butter in a pan and whisk in the flour. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then whisk in the milk till smooth. Season, add the bay leaf and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
3. Remove the stalks from the spinach, then wilt with the remaining 20g butter in a covered pan. When wilted, drain and, when cool enough to handle, squeeze out the liquid.
4. Chop the spinach and mix with the ricotta, a ladleful of the white sauce and a good grating of nutmeg. Season.
5. In a baking dish, layer the lasagne sheets, white sauce, spinach mixture and a grating of Parmesan. Finish with a layer of pasta topped with sauce and more Parmesan.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, or till golden.
FOR THE SWEET TOOTH MAMA
Cherry Berry Vanilla Tea Cake
“Incredibly light, soft and moist cake that is so aromatic and delicious.”
For the cake:
・1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
・1 teaspoon baking powder
・½ teaspoon baking soda
・¼ teaspoon salt
・⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
・½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
・1 cup white sugar
・2 large eggs, at room temperature
・2 teaspoons vanilla extract
・⅔ cup sour cream
・1 teaspoon grated lemon peel/zest
・½ cup canned pitted sweet cherries, halved & drained
・½ cup strawberries, chopped
For the vanilla sugar:
・1 tablespoon white sugar
・½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
・2 tablespoons powdered (icing) sugar
For the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 10-inch springform pan.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. With an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla extract.
3. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the dry ingredient mixture to a small bowl. At low speed, beat half the remaining dry ingredients into the butter mixture, then mix in sour cream and lemon peel. Beat in remaining half of dry ingredients. Mix cherries and strawberries into reserved 2 tablespoons of dry ingredients; fold cherries and strawberries into batter.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake in preheated oven until a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes. Transfer cake to rack and cool 10 minutes.
For the vanilla sugar:
1. Using a small sharp knife, scrape seeds from vanilla bean into small bowl. Mix in 1 tablespoon white sugar, using your fingertips to distribute seeds. Add powdered sugar and rub again.
2. Sift vanilla sugar over still-warm cake. Cool completely. Cut around pan sides to loosen cake; remove pan sides.
Make this year’s mother’s day a little more special by whipping up a delicious meal for her! Happy Mother’s Day to all beautiful mothers out there! x
- Felicia (@ForteFelicity)